What can I do with my land?

What can and cannot be built on a piece of property depends on how it is zoned. For every zoning district in the County, there are certain uses that are allowed as a matter of right, other uses that are allowed only with the approval of a Special Use Permit by the Board of Supervisors, and some uses that are not allowed. All rezoning and Special Use Permit applications are referred to the Planning Commission. Zoning stems largely from the Comprehensive Plan. Use the York County Property Information System to determine the zoning designation for a specific address and the Table of Land Uses to determine permissible uses.

Show All Answers

1. Thinking about renting out your house, an accessory structure, or one or more rooms in your house on a short-term basis (i.e., fewer than 90 days), here are some things you need to know:
2. I want to get involved with the Comprehensive Plan process. How do I do that?
3. Where is the Planning Division office located?
4. What is the population of York County?
5. What is the Planning Commission?
6. What can I do with my land?
7. What is the Comprehensive Plan?
8. Can I have a garage apartment or accessory dwelling unit on my property?
9. Can I operate a business in my home?
10. Where can I find out about applications coming before the Planning Commission?
11. On what does the Planning Commission base its recommendation?
12. When and where does the Planning Commission meet?
13. How can I make my opinions known to the Planning Commission?
14. Does the Planning Commission accept petitions?