Who is responsible for maintaining the roads in York County?

For most county citizens, the answer is VDOT - the Virginia Department of Transportation. In fact, VDOT is responsible for maintenance of all public streets, roads, and highways in the county (in contrast to cities, where the city governments are responsible for maintenance). The exceptions to this general rule are the various private streets, for example in townhouse or condominium developments, where property owners' associations have maintenance responsibility. VDOT maintains the following for citizens to report road problems or concerns:

You can reach the local VDOT Residency Administrator's office by phone at 253-5138; the Williamsburg Area Maintenance Headquarters at 253-5138; or, the Seaford Area Maintenance Headquarters at 898-5151. You can also submit a service request by calling the central service center at 1-800-FOR-ROAD (367-7623).  Other helpful links are below.

VDOT Customer Service Center

Online Work Request


VDOT Customer Service Center

Show All Answers

1. Where can I get help with the new taxpayper portal?
2. Is York County Hiring?
3. Where can I view our Board of Supervisors and Planning Commission Meetings?
4. Where can I read Citizen News online?
5. Who is responsible for maintaining the roads in York County?
6. What do the county's key officials earn as of January 1, 2024?
7. Where can I find information about Zoning and Code Enforcement?
8. Where can I find updates on the construction of the new Law Enforcement Building?
9. How can I find out about the planned and proposed development in the County?
10. What were York County's real estate tax rates over the past 20 years?
11. I am a new resident. Is there any beneficial information posted online to help me transition?
12. Is there a place where we can view the Board's correspondence?
13. How can I contact the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT)?
14. What do I do if I find a dead animal?
15. Thinking about renting out your house, an accessory structure, or one or more rooms in your house on a short-term basis (i.e., fewer than 90 days), here are some things you need to know:
16. Where can I view Presentations to the Board?
17. Does the County and School Division share any services/offices?
18. Do I need a permit to host a yard sale?