What do I do if my ditches are flooding? Who do I call about a drainage problem?

That depends on where the ditch is located.

Roadside ditches are maintained by VDOT. If it is along the road, it is in the VDOT right-of-way (ROW) and it is their responsibility to maintain and repair.

You can reach the local VDOT Residency Administrator’s office by phone at 757-253-5138, the Williamsburg Area Maintenance Headquarters at 757-253-5138, or the Seaford Area Maintenance Headquarters at 757-898-5151.

You can also submit a service request online at https://my.vdot.virginia.gov/, or call the central service center at 1-800-FOR-ROAD (367-7623).

If the ditch is not along the roadway, or if it is outside the VDOT ROW, then the county would maintain it (if it is in an easement dedicated to York County). If it is off the roadway and in a county easement, please call Department of Public Works at 757-890-3750 and we will have the Stormwater engineers investigate the issue. You can also put in a customer service request on our website here.

Some easements are dedicated to Homeowners Associations (HOA’s) and would be their responsibility to fix.

To find out who owns or maintains the ditches and pipes, you should start by looking at the plat for your property or subdivision. If you don’t have a copy of this, you can find it on the county website by going to property information and looking up the address.  Once you are on the property in question, go to the map and under "Tools" on the upper right side, click on "Identify". Then go to the left side under "Layers" at the pop down box click on "Plat" link. Go back to the parcel in question and click on it again. Click the "More Information" link and you should be able to see the subdivision plat.

If that doesn’t work or you’re still not sure, go to the Customer Service Request Portal and put in your service request. You will be provided a work order request number.

Show All Answers

1. I just moved to York County. How do I start trash collection service or other York County Services?
2. How do I schedule a bulk trash collection?
3. What are the hours of operations for Waste Management?
4. Why didn't my trash get collected?
5. My trash container is missing or damaged. What should I do?
6. How do I dispose of my trash when not collected?
7. How does my trash get collected on a holiday?
8. May I put yard debris in my trash container?
9. Can I put my tires out at the curb for pickup?
10. If I am a contractor bringing waste or yard debris from my residence, do I have to pay?
11. There is water backing up into my shower/toilets/sinks. Is there a sewer backup issue?
12. My home is not connected to the County’s sanitary sewer system, and I have a septic tank. How often should it be inspected?
13. How does stormwater get treated?
14. Who do I call if there is stormwater rising from the stormwater drain?
15. What do I do if my ditches are flooding? Who do I call about a drainage problem?
16. What can I do to reduce flooding?
17. How do I find out what flood zone my property is in?
18. What is an Illicit Discharge, and how do I report it?
19. Who do I call about snow removal? Who do I call to report a pothole/road issue?
20. Where can I get a building permit/building permit inspection?
21. How can I provide feedback on customer service?
22. How can I help reduce pollution?
23. What is TMDL?
24. Who do I call for billing?
25. My water was turned off for non-payment of a York County utility bill. Who do I call?