What do I do if my ditches are flooding? Who do I call about a drainage problem?

That depends on where the ditch is located.

Roadside ditches are maintained by VDOT. If it is along the road, it is in the VDOT right-of-way (ROW) and it is their responsibility to maintain and repair.

You can reach the local VDOT Residency Administrator’s office by phone at 757-253-5138, the Williamsburg Area Maintenance Headquarters at 757-253-5138, or the Seaford Area Maintenance Headquarters at 757-898-5151.

You can also submit a service request online at https://my.vdot.virginia.gov/, or call the central service center at 1-800-FOR-ROAD (367-7623).

If the ditch is not along the roadway, or if it is outside the VDOT ROW, then the county would maintain it (if it is in an easement dedicated to York County). If it is off the roadway and in a county easement, please call Department of Public Works at 757-890-3702 and we will have the stormwater engineers investigate the issue. You can also put in a service request on our website here.

Some easements are dedicated to Homeowners Associations (HOA’s) and would be their responsibility to fix.

To find out who owns or maintains the ditches and pipes, you should start by looking at the plat for your property or subdivision. If you don’t have a copy of this, you can find it on the county website by going to property information and looking up the address.  Once you are on the property in question, go to the map and under "Tools" on the upper right side, click on "Identify". Then go to the left side under "Layers" at the pop down box click on "Plat" link. Go back to the parcel in question and click on it again. Click the "More Information" link and you should be able to see the subdivision plat.

If that doesn’t work or you’re still not sure, go to the Customer Service Request Portal and put in your service request. You will be provided a work order request number.

put in a service request on our website.

Show All Answers

1. What do I do if my ditches are flooding? Who do I call about a drainage problem?
2. My home is not connected to the County’s sanitary sewer system, and I have a septic tank. How often should it be inspected?
3. How do I find out what flood zone my property is in?
4. What can I do to reduce flooding?
5. How does stormwater get treated?
6. What is an Illicit Discharge?
7. How can I help reduce pollution?
8. What is TMDL?