Home-Based Business Transition Grant Program
What is it?
Your home-based business was cozy, but you've been growing and now you're bursting at the seams. If you're ready to move your business into a commercial location, we want to help!
How much is it?The grant is up to $2,000 per business, and must be used for transition expenses. This could include:
- Purchase of supplies, equipment, or inventory
- Down-payments towards the lease or purchase of a commercial location
- Renovations or minor repairs to a new commercial location
- Utility connection fees
- Advertising & marketing
Who is eligible?
- Your business must have a current York County Business License at the time of grant application and it must have been active for at least one year prior to applying for grant funds. This license must remain paid and active until two years after the date grant funds are received. If you close and/or relocate your business out of York County within two years of receiving grant funds, you must repay 50% of the total grant awarded.
- You must currently be a home-based business located in York County looking to transition to a commercial-based location in York County.
- You must purchase, lease, or sublease commercially zoned property in York County within 6 months of signing the grant agreement.
- Your business can only apply once.
- Sorry, but non-profit agencies may not apply.
What are the other conditions?
- If you receive the grant and then relocate out of York County within two years of receiving grant funds, you must repay 50% of the total grant awarded.
- The grant will ONLY be awarded for work, items, and/or projects performed or received AFTER approval of the application.
- All projects must be completed within 6 months of approval.
- You must agree to a short follow-up interview by ETD staff 6-12 months after you receive the grant funds. This helps our staff determine the success of the program and gives you the opportunity to suggest improvements.
- Funds will be awarded to the applicant only upon satisfactory completion of the project(s) in accordance with the approved application, and the relocation of the business to a commercially-zoned location in the County in accordance with the grant guidelines.
How does it work?
- Print, complete, and submit your application (PDF), including all required permits, approvals and form W-9.
- We will notify you by email that your application was received.
- Once your application has been reviewed, we will send you an email to inform you of the decision, along with an agreement to sign. Once you return the signed agreement, you may proceed.
- After the work is completed (within 6 months), submit paid receipts and/or copies of returned checks to us.
- We will verify completion of the project as quoted and provide your grant payment.
Where do I submit the application?
Mail: York County Economic & Tourism Development, P.O. Box 612, Yorktown, VA 23690
In person: York County Economic & Tourism Development, 224 Ballard St., Yorktown, VA 23690
The EDA has appropriated $25,000 in available matching grant funds for this program. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and grant funds will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, as long as funds remain available. Applications will be evaluated by an independent committee based on the following criteria: length of time business has been operating, length of time business has been located in York County, current number of employees, projected number of employees within two years, current revenue, projected revenue within 2 years, and proposed use of the grant funds.